Professor Uwem Udo Akpan is Professor of Broadcasting and Media Studies in the Department of Communication Arts, University of Uyo, Nigeria.
He started out in career with Akwa Ibom Broadcasting Corporation, AKBC before becoming a University Lecturer where he presently is of the rank of a Professor. Through his indepth research in Broadcasting, he has published extensively in Journals (Local and International), Books, Book Chapters and Conferences Papers. He holds professional affiliations with bodies such as African Council for Communication Education, ACCE, b)Nigeria Union of Journalist, NUJ and lots more. He is a highly experienced broadcaster who has served in several organizations and committees within the University and beyond.
You are welcome to his personal knowledgebase where you will get to know all there is to know about this great scholar and have open access to majority of his works.
University of Uyo,
Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.
Area of Specialisation: Broadcasting
Ph.D Dissertation – (University of Uyo):
The Contribution of the Broadcasting Media to Public Policy Formulation in Akwa Ibom State.
Request for a Copy
Area of Specialisation: Broadcasting (Radio-TV, Film) (2001).
M.A. Thesis – 1999 (University of Uyo):
Reporting for Government: A Study of AKBC Television News.
Request for a Copy
Second Class Honours Upper Division (Mass Communication)
B.A. Thesis – 1988 (University of Nigeria):
The Image of the University of Nigeria in Nigerian Newspapers.
Request for a Copy
Professor Uwem Akpan has published extensive in Local and International fora. Below are some of them. Click here for complete outlay.
1990 - 2007
1. Employed as News Reporter on March 1, 1990.
2. Promoted Deputy Director, Editorial and Head of Editorial, AKBC – Television Service on January 1, 2007. Also served as News Producer/News Editor/ Sports Editor and Programmes Presenter.
2014 - Present
1) Editor, UNIUYO Journal of Communication Studies –
2016 – 2021.
2) Chairman, UNIUYO FM Management Committee – 2016 -2021.
3) Member of Panel on Alleged Late Submission of Examination Misconduct Report in the Second Semester of 2014/2015 Session by Dr. Emmanuel U. Odeh, Lecturer 11, Department of Mechanical Engineering – 2016.
4) Member, Advisory Board of UNIUYO Consultancy Limited - 2016 to date.
5) Member, Publicity and Publications Subcommittee of the 6th Edition of the Nigerian Universities Research and Development Fair (NURESDEF) - 2015.
6) Member of Panel of Investigation on Theft of Parts of a 15KVA Perkings Generating Set at Students’ Hostel at Udi Street, Uyo - 2015.
7) Member, Committee on 2013 UNIUYO Annual Report - 2015.
8) Member, Publicity and Media Services Committee, UNIUYO’s 17th & 18th Convocation – 2011.
9) Member, Protocol and Accommodation Committee, UNIUYO’s 16th Convocation – 2010.
10) Member, Publicity and Media Services Committee, UNIUYO’s 16th Convocation – 2010.
11) Member, Protocol and Accommodation Committee, UNIUYO’S 15th Convocation – 2009.
12) Member, Publicity and Media Services Committee, UNIUYO’s 15th Convocation – 2009.
13) Member, Departmental Board, Communication Arts – 2007 - till date.
14) Member, Faculty of Arts Board - 2007 - till date.
15) Member, Faculty of Arts Board of Studies - 2021 - till date.
16) Staff Adviser, Association of Communication Arts Students - 2008 – 2021.
17) Member, Faculty of Arts International Conference Committee - 2018 till date.
18) Member, Accreditation Committee, Department of Communication Arts, UNIUYO – 2019.
19) Member, Committee and Editorial Team for Production of 2016/2017 UNIUYO Annual Report - 2018.
20) Project Supervision – Coordinator, Undergraduate Projects.
21) Chairman, Conference Organising Committee, Chairman, Professor Nkereuwem Udoakah Conference on Political Communication and National Development – 2021.
1983 - Present
1) Member, Students’ Representative Council, School of
Arts and Science, Uyo, 1983.
2) News Editor, FOCUS, an NYSC publication in Kwara State, 1988 – 1989.
3) Secretary, Sports Writers Association of Nigeria, Akwa Ibom State, 1993-1995; 1997-1998.
4) Chairman, Sports Writers, Association of Nigeria, Akwa Ibom State Chapter, October 17, 2006 to March 4, 2010.
5) Editor-in-Chief, The Trumpet Bulletin, an in-house Christian Quarterly of Uyo Town Church of Christ, 20 Paul Bassey Street, Uyo, December 2006 till date.
6) Editor, Ultimate Voice, a Corporate Newsletter of AKBC, 2006 till date.
7) Member, Board of Akwa Ibom Football Association, 2006 to March 4, 2010.
8) Presenter of Sports Arena Programme on AKBC Radio, 1996 to 2009.
9) Secretary-General, Ibiono Ibom Welfare and Development Union, IWADU, 2010 – 2015.
10) Deputy Editor, AKSU Journal of Communication Research (AJCR), Vol. 3, June 2018.
11) External Examiner/Moderator, National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN).
12) Chairman, Committee on History of IWADU, Uyo Branch (2018 - till date).
13) External Examiner/Moderator, University of Nigeria, Nsukka (2021 - till date).
14) National Universities Commission (NUC) Resource Person – (2021 – till date).
Professor Nkereuwem UdoakahDepartment of Communication Arts, University of Uyo, Uyo
Professor Mbuk MbohoDepartment of Mass Communication, Akwa Ibom State University, Obio Akpa Campus
Professor Sunny UdezeDepartment of Mass Communication, Enugu State University of Technology, Enugu
Department of Communication Arts, University of Uyo, Nigeria